ASH Homebrewer of the Year (HBOY) Competition
The ASH HBOY award is given to the ASH member accruing the most points throughout the year in eligible competitions which are Spring Classic, Fall Classic, NHC First Round, NHC Final Round and members-only competitions.
The following rules apply for the 2021 HBOY points program:
- You must be an ASH member at the time of entry for any individual competition to garner points toward the HBOY award. No points will be added in arrears for members joining after the competition.
- For HBOY points to be recognized in the ASH Spring and Fall Classic competitions and for NHC competitions, your club affiliation must be entered as Arizona Society of Homebrewers. Exceptions will only be made in the event of registration software errors by the NHC organizers and must to communicated to the ASH competition director prior to announcement of awards.
In the unlikely event of a tie in points, the final award will be determined by tie-breaking criteria applied in the following order:
- BOS awards in the Spring and Fall Classic competitions i.e. if two members are tied on total accumulated points and one won a BOS award, that member will be named HBOY.
- Gold medals won at ASH Spring and Fall Classic competitions i.e. if two members are tied on total accumulated points and both won BOS awards in the Spring and Fall Classic competitions, the member with the most accumulated gold medals will be named HBOY.
- Points earned from NHC Final Round i.e. if after the two criteria above, two members are still tied the member awarded the most points in the final round of the NHC will be named HBOY.
Note that the tie-breaker criteria purposefully emphasize club competitions since this is an ASH club award.
Homebrewer of the Year (HBOY) Competition Points System
- ASH Spring Classic and Fall Classic:
- Brewers earn 3 points for Gold, 2 points for Silver, and 1 point for Bronze in any category.
- In addition, any club member awarded best of show for the Spring and Fall Classic will receive additional points for their BOS win using the same point scale.
- Co-brewers will earn points on the same scale for a maximum of 2 beers in each competition.
- Mini competitions points:
- Brewers earn 4 points for Gold, 3 points for Silver, and 2 points for Bronze.
- Co-brewers will earn points on the same scale for a maximum of 1 beer in each mini competition.
- NHC First Round points:
- Brewers earn 6 points for Gold, 4 points for Silver, and 2 point for Bronze
- NHC Final Round points:
- Brewers earn 8 points for Gold, 6 points for Silver, and 4 points for Bronze
Rules for the ASH Spring and Fall Classic competitions are available on the individual competition websites once registration opens.
The following link will be maintained by the ASH Director of Competitions during the year to track points accrued by each brewer. If you believe your point totals are inaccurate, please contact email@example.com.
HBOY Mini Competition entry rules:
- You must be an ASH member at the time of entry
- Mini competitions are free to enter
- Must rubber-band a completed Bottle ID form to two (2) bottles. Please be certain that writing on the form is legible and that ink is permanent to avoid issues with bottle sweat.
- Bottles should be clean and not have any identifying marks on the cap/bottle or any label other than the Bottle ID form.
- You may enter up to one beer per sub-category and may enter all subcategories allowed by the competition.
- Entries must be dropped off at the club general meeting the month the competition is held or through separate arrangements made with the competition organizer. The organizer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other rules may be announced for specific mini-competitions
- Score sheets will be emailed to members after judging.
2021 ASH-Mini Competition Schedule:
In celebration of the belated 25th Anniversary of ASH, we are changing up the Mini Competitions to stretch brewing abilities. In addition, commemorative 25th anniversary medals will be awarded to mini-comp winners. Let’s make it Fun and Educational!
The tentative schedule for ASH HBOY mini competitions is as follows. Final details on each competition will be announced via Facebook and in the ASH Hot Break newsletter.
May: smASH It!
- Brewers will be required to brew based on but not limited to some specific ingredients (base malt, hops and yeast). ASH will support provision of the specified ingredients.
- Details will be announced through the Hotbreak and at the April 20, 2021 general club meeting.
- Entries are due at the May 18, 2021 general club meeting unless you arrange otherwise with the competition organizer. (All Pending CDC Guidelines)
July: Industry Collab and Compare (Tentative Comp)
- Brewers may be required to base a beer on a previously BJCP medaled recipe. The Homebrewer will brew a batch at home and be paired with a local brewery to commercially brew the same recipe. The idea is to mimic the Pro-Am and have some fun with our industry brethren.
- Timing and beer styles may be finalized in conjunction with a possible wort theft schedule but entries are expected to be due at the July 20, 2021 general club meeting. This is still in the works and may change a bit to meet with what industry can provide.
November: Iron Brewer
- Brewers will be required to feature a mystery ingredient or two that will be revealed at the October 19, 2021 general club meeting and on the members only Facebook page.
- Brewers must Team-up: A veteran and a novice from the club. Brewers may brew any style of beer, but the mystery ingredient(s) must be evident in the finished beer similar to BJCP guidelines for fruit and spice beer. These ingredients will be revealed after Team selections are determined. The batches can be small batch brewing.
- Entries are due at the November 16, 2021 general club meeting unless you arrange otherwise with the competition organizer.
Annual HBOY Grand Prize:
The HBOY will receive special recognition at the Holiday party (Pending CDC Guidelines), one year of unrestricted bragging rights, a recognition certificate and a $500 gift certificate