ASH Homebrewer of the Year (HBOY) Competition
The ASH HBOY award is given to the ASH member accruing the most points in eligible competitions which are Spring Classic, Fall Classic, NHC First Round, NHC Final Round and members-only competitions.
Please note the following rules that will apply for the 2019 HBOY program:
You must be an ASH member at the time of entry for these competitions. Additionally, for Spring and Fall Classic competitions and for NHC competitions your club name must be entered as Arizona Society of Homebrewers.
In the unlikely event of a tie in points, the final award will be determined by tie-breaking criteria applied in the following order:
- BOS awards in the Spring and Fall Classic competitions i.e. if two members are tied on points and one won a BOS award, that memeber will be named HBOY
- Gold medals won at ASH Spring and Fall Classic competitions i.e. if two members are tied on points and both won BOS awards in the Spring and Fall Classic competitions, the member with the most accumulated gold medals will be named HBOY
- Points earned from NHC Final Round i.e. if after the two criteria above, two members are still tied the member awarded the most points in the final round of the NHC will be named HBOY.
Note that the tie-breaker criteria purposefully emphasize club competitions since this is an ASH club award.
Homebrewer of the Year (HBOY) Competition Points System
- ASH Spring Classic and Fall Classic: Brewers earn 3 points for Gold, 2 points for Silver, and 1 point for Bronze in any category. In addition, any club member awarded best of show for the Spring and Fall Classic will receive additional points for their BOS win using the same point scale. Co-brewers will earn points on the same scale for a maximum of 2 beers in each competition.
- Mini competitions points: brewers earn 4 points for Gold, 3 points for Silver, and 2 points for Bronze. Co-brewers will earn points on the same scale for a maximum of 1 beer in each mini competition.
- NHC First Round points: brewers earn 6 points for Gold, 4 points for Silver, and 2 point for Bronze
- NHC Final Round points: brewers earn 8 points for Gold, 6 points for Silver, and 4 points for Bronze
Rules for the ASH Spring and Fall Classic competitions are available on the individual competition websites once registration opens.
The following link will be maintained by the ASH Director of Competitions during the year to track points accrued by each brewer. If you believe your point totals are inaccurate, please contact email@example.com.
HBOY mini competition entry rules:
- You must be an ASH member at the time of entry
- Mini competitions are free to enter
- Must rubber-band a completed Bottle ID form to two (2) bottles. Please be certain that writing on the form is legible and that ink is permanent to avoid issues with bottle sweat.
- Bottles should be clean and not have any identifying marks on the cap/bottle or any label other than the Bottle ID form.
- You may enter up to one beer per sub-category and may enter all subcategories allowed by the competition.
- Entries must be dropped off at the club general meeting the month the competition is held or through separate arrangements made with the competition organizer. The organizer can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Other rules may be announced for specific mini-competitions
- Score sheets will be emailed to members after judging.
2019 ASH mini Competition Schedule:
The tentative schedule for ASH HBOY mini competitions is as follows. Final details on each competition will be announced via Facebook and in the ASH Hot Break newsletter.
- May: American and German Wheat Beers (BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines Categories 1D and 10A)
- Entries may be brought to the April or May general meeting
- Cut off date for entries is May 21, 2019
- Judging is planned for June 1, 2019
- July: Light American Beers (BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines Categories 1A, 1B, 1C and 18A)
- Entries may be brought to the June or July general meeting
- Cut off date for entries is July 16, 2019
- Judging is planned for July 27, 2019
- November: Stouts (BJCP 2015 Style Guidelines Categories 15B, 15C, 16A, 16B, 16C, 16D and 20B)
- Entries may be brought to the October or November general meeting
- Cut off date for entries is November 19, 2019
- Judging is planned for December 4, 2019
Annual HBOY Grand Prize:
The HBOY will receive special recognition at the Holiday party, one year of unrestricted bragging rights, a recognition certificate and a $500 gift certificate